Monday, April 20, 2009

Catching up...

Whew! It's a little harder to blog now with two kids. Especially since my normal blogging time (after bedtime for the kids) is now spent doing Wii fit until about 11 at night since there really isn't any other time to do it. Speaking of bedtime, we are so lucky that we have a good sleeper. Coben is usually in bed by the same time as Cady which is around 8:00. He wakes up at 11 to eat when Rob and I go to bed and then goes right back to sleep. He runs like clock-work...for now. Clock-work includes his 4 a.m. "Let's Partay!" times when he is more vocal than we ever hear him during the day. He amuses himself by flapping around and cooing. I spend about 5 minutes thinking he is the absolute cutest thing in the world and just recently I've trained myself to roll over after those five minutes and sleep right through the rest of it.

So as I'm rambling on about sleep, many of you are probably wishing I would cut to the chase regarding Coben's incident and the follow-up to the incident. We do not have the EEG results back yet. Let me tell you what kind of fun that was! The EEG instructions are to put the child to bed after midnight and wake them up at 4 a.m. and KEEP them up. Do not let them sleep in the car and don't feed them close to the appointment time and then they want him to sleep during the appointment. Yeah, seriously! We did what we could to make sure he went in tired and that's all I'm going to say about that.

The Cardiology appointment was on Friday. They did an EKG and a really extensive ultrasound. The only finding was completely insignificant. He has a small opening which is typical for newborns and it is expected to close up. The cardiologist was unable to find anything that should have caused his oxygen saturation levels to dip down to 74. Her best guess is that he may have aspirated when he vomited. Having vomit in his lungs may have caused all of the things that I witnessed (not being able to wake him up, losing all muscle control, pale, etc...) and it would have compromised his lungs beyond just that moment causing him to still have low oxygen saturation levels after five hours of oxygen. But she said it is purely a guess. I was holding Coben upright when it happened and he immediately went limp. It would have been more likely she said if he was laying down and had cried afterward thereby inhaling vomit into his lungs. So, who knows. She said in the future we can experiment with taking him up into altitude and doing an overnight trip at an elevation level between Denver and Dillon. An airplane ride should probably not be our first experiment (although they do have oxygen I suppose).

Cady. She continues to do well. Last night in the car she said, "Mom, I think you are going to have another baby!" Very funny. She reminds me daily about how disappointed that she is that she did not get to see Coben come out of my belly. I'm sure I'll be hearing about that for years to come. She is absolutely excited about her upcoming birthday. Anytime something comes up that she is not allowed to do because she is too little, she interprets to mean that once she is three she can do it all. So she informs me on an almost daily basis that once she is three she can use the stove, light a candle and use sharp knives. Boy, won't she be surprised when she finds out that being three isn't all that it's cracked up to be. If anyone is at a loss for a good birthday present for a three year old, I was informed by her this morning that she would like a bottle of Saline Drops and a Booger sucker for her birthday. I guess Coben has it all and she'd like a slice of that action!

Ummm..that's about it over here. Spring is here and I'm elated to be outside again with Cady (plus one) and even more excited to be outside again and NOT PREGNANT!

7 comments:

Great Aunt Sophie said...

Darn! Guess I'll have to return those cute outfits and go out and get a booger sucker!! So glad they keep ruling out bad things for Coben even if it doesn't help to explain what happened. You got rid of your foot of snow? Are you sure Cady doesn't know something you don't know Paula? :)

Krumpledwhiskers said...

That snow burned right off and we are already back in the 70's. In fact I thnk I have a little bit of a zoo tan today!
Cady would like to think she knows something that I don't but there's no way. NO WAY! :-)

KK said...

Sounds like things are going well all around. Glad to hear it!

Any suggestions for birthday gifts that don't include booger suckers? I'm afraid I'm running a bit behind.

Krumpledwhiskers said...

She's been talking about hula hooops lately but I imagine that would be just a bit awkward to send! :) A card would be sufficient Katharine. She loves getting mail!

Giftie Etcetera said...

Crap, Paula, I am such a bad friend. I was so stressed last night that I didn't realize Coben went through something very similiar to what happened to Loki. I'm glad they didn't find anything serious for little Coben. Believe me when I say that I KNOW how scary it is.

jane said...

I'm kind of afraid to ask, but what is a booger sucker? A pacifier?
When Starin was little, she liked to "help" Tim build his boat. One day she asked if she could use his electric drill and he said no, she wasn't old enough to use electric tools. So, with tears streaming down her face, she said in an anguished voice, "but Dad, I'm already three."

Krumpledwhiskers said...

Aw, Poor Starin. We create all this hoopla about them getting older yet the door is still pretty much closed when it comes to all the really fun stuff.

The booger sucker is a bulb syringe. Rob had to remind me of what they are called because we always just call it the booger sucker. I thought that was a universal term, lol.