Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I'm so proud of our big girl

Cady has really handled things like a trooper. I'm just not as much fun as I used to be. I can't wrestle or jump around or do much of anything, at times I'm grouchy and often I'm just flat-out boring, yet she still adores me. That makes me one really lucky person.

We've had very little "potty training" around here. I had read that it's a developmental milestone, much the same as crawling is, and you can exhaust yourself trying to "train" them to use the potty or you can just sit back and wait until they are ready. We chose to do the latter and it paid off. Except for night time, Cady is in panties ALL THE TIME! She decided she was ready and she went for it. Initially it was just at home and she refused to go anywhere else and she refused to poop anywhere but a diaper. We praised her efforts when she used the potty and shrugged our shoulders and said, "maybe next time" when she didn't. Then this weekend she turned a corner and does it all on the big potty and beams at us and says, "are you proud of me?" Of course we are! She's not capable of holding it all night long but it doesn't stop her determination. She begs to sleep in plastic pants instead of a diaper and they always leak and she always wakes up in the middle of the night soaked, but it doesn't stop her from trying.

She is so proud of herself for being a "big girl" right now and she wears the title well. She has been a whole different kid since she has taken on that label for herself. They've noticed at school too how nurturing she has been to the younger kids. And not a day goes by that she doesn't talk about how she is going to take care of Coben. She often hugs, kisses and pats him as she passes me. And anytime I cough she asks with concern, "You have heartburns mom? I can make you feel better" and runs off to get my Tums out of the closet. She holds my hand through my OB appts and asks me, "does it hurt mom? or are you okay?" She has just really flourished lately. I make the mistake sometimes of calling her my sweet little girl and she puffs up and says, "I'm not a little girl mom, I'm a big girl." I have to go along with that, but in my eyes, and I'm sure in every parents eyes, no matter how big they get they are still your baby.

2 comments:

KMK said...

Wow, that is sweet. The part about her looking after you made me a little misty.

MiMi said...

Oh my, she's growing up so fast!! And how sweet to show such concern (even if she did boot you out of the nap room) I'll have to remember to always "big girl" her.