Monday, January 12, 2009

Growin' a big one!

That's what the Dr. told me when she measured me today. She's not one to overexaggerate since she told me Cady measured on the small side but she was just a few ounces bigger than average. I'm not doubting her at all since at 32 weeks Coben is OUT OF SPACE and I often have to push his little body parts back in as he stretches out and just stays that way leaving little nodules on my belly.

So, I'm really hoping the past two Dr. visits are not foreshadowing Coben's birthdate. There are not many days in Colorado where it's hard to drive around but there have been two days this Winter. Both days were the days of my prenatal visit. Today and last month. The roads were super-slick and difficult to drive. In fact, last month Cady and I slid right through a red-light. Scary! IT WOULD NOT BE FUNNY IF COBEN DECIDED TO COME DURING A SNOW-IN!

I've been having lots of contractions lately. It's frustrating to me because it's just about every time I get up to do something. Walking down the hallway at work sets them off, going to the grocery store sets them off, standing up sets them off. I have eight weeks left and at this rate I'm going to be one flaccid vessel of jelly if I can't get up and get moving. Besides that, Rob turns about 10 shades of white everytime I start getting some painful contractions. Rob, who never barks, actually barks, "Sit down! We are NOT having this baby early!" So, I finally have figured out that there IS something that rattles Rob (other than those random really rotten Cady days).

I'm starting iron pills today. I've had low iron for a month but just today the Dr. decides that "We should have had you on iron pills from the get-go! We're risking a transfusion at delivery here!" Well, thank you very much, I don't think it was my call! I'm excited though because I have high hopes that this means I will be able to lift my arms above waist level without having to sit down and rest.


So, all is well in baby land! I didn't realize how easy I had it with Cady. I don't remember being in any hurry for her to come and I feel like I could have carried her forever...(well, until my due date passed then I was questioning). I earned myself bad pregnancy Karma by thinking that all the pregnancy complainers surrounding me were just complaining because they could...I didn't know that they actually felt this way. Now I wonder, "Am I really going to make it another 8 weeks?"

6 comments:

KMK said...

Sounds like Coben is following the pattern of successive babies getting progressively bigger. Did the doc give any indication of whether he might pop out early? I hope the iron pills help.

Mommy to Ander and Wife to Box said...

Rest, hydration, and a lot of luck - that's how you keep that baby in. :)

MiMi said...

Hang in there! We're all crazy keen to see the little giant, but not early - keep telling him MiMi won't be there til the 3rd. (and all the snow will be gone by then for sure)

Krumpledwhiskers said...

Boy Penny,saying that the snow will be gone for sure is wishful thinking for someone who used to live here! :) There was plenty of snow when we left the hospital with Cady on April 25th.

MiMi said...

According to Poor Mersereau's Almanac, there will be no snow!!! (It was averaging 50 degrees and sunshine the 2 winters I was there, so that may add to my delusions.)

-Knowles said...

I'm crossing my fingers for clear streets when Cobin decides to make his exit (or is it entrance?).