Monday, October 6, 2008

Older Mom Testing

I opted for the sequential screening (two series of bloodwork and an NT ultrasound)
http://www.aruplab.com/Testing-Information/resources/TechnicalBulletins/Maternal%20Screening,%20Sequential.pdf
The ultrasound was done about 6 weeks ago along with the first blood test. When I went for my appointment a couple of weeks ago and asked how the first round went, the Dr. told me that they will not read anything independent, that it has to be read as a whole after the second blood test is done. (That didn't sound right so I looked it up and sure enough, it all has to be done together). I asked her if they had found anything totally abnormal on the ultrasound if they would share that with me before the second series of bloodwork, but she just said again "these tests cannot be run independently" so I had my second series drawn last week and have been waiting (6 weeks total now)....today I got the call. Everything was negative. I show no markers for an elevated risk of downs, Trisomy 18, or other neural tube defects. Woohoo! It's not a guarantee, as only amnio or CVT are going to tell me "for sure" but it's a big relief.

2 comments:

Great Aunt Sophie said...

Great report Paula! I'm sure all the waiting was no fun...

KMK said...

Yay!