Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Art Class Take 2

It's becoming more and more apparent that the personality that Cady was born with is here to stay. I think the colic was a symptom of a big personality born in a little body. She is a spirited little thing! She's wonderful...just very spirited.

I took Cady to her first art class last week and it didn't go well. It's constructed for kids under two. The teacher first reads a story. Everyone in the group sat and listened. Cady stole the teachers prop bag, walked to the door with it and started yelling bye and waving as though she was leaving. Ooookay!

Then it was time to do art every single child fingerpainted with their parents. Cady put it in her mouth, took a huge glob and flung it and then started signing all done. She refused to do any more art and spent the rest of the time toddling around the room as far from the art as possible, inspecting everything. Oooookay!

Then toward the end, the bathroom door was open while people were washing their kids. I saw the toilet the same time as Cady and we both went running. As I was running after her, a mom and her little girl cut me off, totally oblivious to my sense of urgency, and I had to try and get around them. Then as I got to the door, a little girl closed the door on me. So by the time I get in, a mom has Cady and says in this really disapproving tone, "She was playing in the dirty toilet". Really???

I would never wish Cady to be any different because I absolutely LOVE her spirit! So what if art is not her thing, right? But I had this flash forward vision of a little girl in Kindergarten who is scooping the class goldfish out of his bowl or putting paste in someone's hair while everyone else is painting! Sometimes I'm envious like when we went to the spray park with all of Cady's little friends and all the kids played in the spray fountains. I spent the whole time running after Cady who found that walking into shops and greeting people was a better use of her time. Or I envy my friend Deb who can put her daughter in the backpack while we are hiking. Cady is the most wonderful, sensitive, sweet baby in the world but she has a mind of her own and isn't afraid to do what it takes to get her needs met.

My initial thought was to drop out of art class. But then I figured, we already paid the $20 so why not go back and just take it slow. If she doesn't want to do art, maybe make it a goal to just have her sit with me while others do art.

So today we went back to art class. Today the kids were painting canvases with brushes and there was one giant canvas that they could walk on, paint brush, finger paint, or whatever. It's for a fundraiser and will be auctioned off. We stayed for about 15 minutes instead of the full hour. Cady did manage to paint, not the canvas, but she did a nice job painting the area around the canvas. She also tasted a lot of paint, laughed herself silly by brushing orange paint on my face, and fell down a lot in the slippery paint. There was only one other parent with paint on them and she had a SPOT on her thigh and her hip. Some of the other babies were nearly spotless. The only baby that wasn't was a friend of Cady's who was painting his entire body. Of course they got along fabulously!
These pictures were taken AFTER the instructor wiped Cady down a bit and AFTER I washed my own face!






3 comments:

KMK said...

I thought this morning's email belonged in a blog :)

Maybe Cady is simply into a more interactive form of art... She could start the Orange Girl Group kind of like Blue Man.

Krumpledwhiskers said...

Yeah, I realized the same thing as I was typing out that email to send you! :)

KMK said...

That's how I started blogging in the first place. At some point I realized that a lot of my emails were more like stories which frequently entertained my friends. I thought if one of them enjoys it, maybe others will too.